Summer 2020 Info
(Archived updates are shown below for reference)
May 21st UPDATE, emailed to 2019 season members:
The summer swim season details are still being evaluated. The Northland Swim Conference is still meeting and working on registration and season details, so we do not have specific registration dates established at this time. We are also awaiting final opening plans for the Woodneath pool.
We are closely following the guidance of USA Swimming, which has established a plan, based on the current health environment, that encourages fostering competition in practice in June; the prospect of intra-squad, virtual meets, and small community-based dual meets in July.
The potential summer season will look different than previous seasons, which we are sure is no surprise to you. Our goal is to have a season that still involves the skill development and fun we have come to love, while following additional safety guidelines set forth for us. All practice aspects will be similar, just shifted a couple of weeks later. Meets would involve a different format.
This is the most likely scenario, based on recent USA Swim guidelines and the local health department:
- Would likely start the second or third week of June and run through the end of July or the first week of August.
- June would involve practices and themed mock meets during practices.
- July would likely progress to meet activities. (see below)
- Meets in June may include mock meets during practice, in sessions.
- Meets in July may include virtual dual meets (two teams, each at their own pools, with data merged at the end, dates TBD) or potentially a dual, possibly broken into sessions.
SOCIAL DISTANCING & CLEANING
- To adhere to facility capacity guidelines, only swimmers and coaches will be allowed on the pool deck for practices.
- Drop off and pick up procedures would be clearly outlined. Parents can stay in vehicles.
- Each child checked in each day.
- Separate entry and exit gate propped for minimal contact
- Distancing in the pool would also occur, with lane spacing and new lap swimming routines established (ie: no clumping together at the end of the lane).
- Age group sizes may need to be limited.
- Equipment (such as kick boards) would not be shared.
- Bathroom use for emergency use only (not for changing clothes).
- Pool furniture will not be used.
- Volunteering would not be tied to registration, but would still be needed throughout the season for various needs as they arise such as mock meets, and especially if virtual meets occur.
- Current guidelines inhibit our ability to provide both adequate social distancing and safety with this age group. Therefore, we will not take Little Caps registrations. Should that change as the season progresses, we would notify the team.
- Because of this change, please help us by only planning to register a child who is ready for full swim team participation.
We are currently working to establish practices and protocols for safety, group size, and equipment use.
Thank you for your patience and optimism through all of this. We are accepting all positive vibes and prayers for this season's success!
Woodneath Farms Swim Team
MAY 18th UPDATE:
The season is still being evaluated. The Northland Conference Board is actively meeting this week to make decisions about the season. As soon as something is determined one way or another, information will be posted here, as well as e-mailed out to members of last year’s team. We appreciate your patience!
APRIL 15th REGISTRATION UPDATE
I hope this update finds your family well!
Our swim board and coaches are prepared for the upcoming Woodneath Whitecaps swim season. I am writing to ease any concerns you may have regarding the registration dates and activities.
I have been in correspondence with the Northland Swim Conference board and team representatives, and we are following USA Swimming guidelines with regard to swim activities. While USA Swimming is limiting meets and swim events through May 31, nothing has presently changed with regard to the summer league meet schedule. The pool should be filled and ready to go by Memorial Day weekend. However, we will not be able to hold practices the last week of May if the current number of people allowed inside the pool area remains at 10 or less. We must adhere to City, State, County Health Departments, and MV Swimming chapter of USA Swimming guidance as to return to sport regulations.
- REGISTRATION will occur once we get the OK from USA Swimming and Missouri Valley begins taking registrations, once we have a clearer picture as to whether there will need to be any adjustments made to the current schedule.
- USA Swimming board will meet again for June decisions on May 15.
- REGISTRATIONS ONLINE WILL NOT BE BEFORE MAY 18, 2020. It will likely be a very short turnaround time to register for this season.
Parent meeting: The group meeting is suspended at this time. We will work to provide the meeting information virtually as it becomes available through email links or website.
Spirit wear store: Spirit wear items (swim suits, apparel, caps) will be posted in the Shop section of our website. Specific dates TBD based on registration and necessary timing for season activities. *NOTE: There will be a very short turn-around time for orders this season, once the dates are posted.
Team suits: We will add as much detail regarding the specific suit measurements as possible for sizing assistance when ordering in case we are unable to offer an in-person fitting time this season. Swim Things has our suit styles ready, and they are ready to help us fit them when and IF it becomes possible. REMEMBER: Swimmers are not required to purchase a team suit to swim on our team.
We will continue to update you with any changes. If there are additional questions, please let us know. We are all in this together!
Warm, summer thoughts,
Woodneath Farms Swim Team
The Woodneath Whitecaps are excited to begin our third season in 2020!
The Woodneath Farms Whitecaps Swim Team is a summer swim team based in the Woodneath Farms subdivision. The team has an 8-9 week season from the last week in May until the middle of July each year. We participate in six dual swim meets and one Conference Championship meet.
The Whitecaps team is for families with children aged 5-18 years. Whitecaps coaches work on teaching correct stroke technique in all four strokes, swimming skills like dives and turns, and improving endurance. The coaches also emphasize teaching the value of sportsmanship and team spirit - all in a fun and friendly environment. Swimmers compete in swim meets against other teams in the Northland Swim Conference, typically each Thursday evening during the season.
Summer league swimming runs smoothly when every family helps out. Parents are an integral part of the success of the team as the Whitecaps team is a volunteer run organization. Thank you for your support!